Theatre Summer Programs for High School Students
Introductory Information about Summer Theatre Programs
Pre-College Theatre Summer Programs
A number of theatre programs take place on college campuses around the country. These pre-college theatre summer programs for high school students can provide the chance to learn about theater in a college setting, gain insight about opportunities to become involved with theater after high school, and get a sense of the college experience.
Theatre Summer Program Opportunities
Featured Summer Theatre Program
Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, offers a summer drama program that is designed for high school students who are in the 10th or 11th grade during this school year. The program is run by the University’s School of Drama, which is well-known for the education that it provides for performing arts students. This summer drama program is held over a six week period during the summer and it takes place on the university’s campus.
The structure of this summer theatre program enables students specialize in either musical theatre, production and design, or acting. Students have a chance to participate in a wide range of learning activities, such as discussions, simulations, workshops, improvisations and much more. The program also provides students with the opportunity to enhance their performance or production skills, learn from professors as well as other experts in the field, work cooperatively with peers, and embrace the performing arts. In addition, participants can learn more about potential college majors and career options in the performing arts
The summer theatre program is a part of the pre-college programs that are held at the university each summer. These programs serve to help students get a sense of college life and prepare to make the transition from high school to college. Through the drama program, students learn about and prepare for the college application process. In particular, students, who are focusing on performance, gain insight in preparing for college auditions. While those students, who are focusing on the production side, develop skills that can be used for developing portfolio pieces. The program has a residential and a commuter option. (As a note, students need to meet an age requirement in order to stay on the campus during the program).
This theatre summer program has an application. Students are encouraged to read more about the program and to contact an official program representative if there are questions.
Examples of theatre summer programs include:
- Chicago Youth Shakespeare Summer Theatre Program (learn more on the Illinois Summer Programs page)
- Emerson College Summer Pre-College Musical Theatre Program (learn more on the Massachusetts Summer Programs page)
- University of Southern Maine Summer Theatre Academy (learn more on the Maine Summer Programs page)
- University of Michigan MPulse Performaning Arts Summer Program at the University of Michigan (learn more on the Michigan Summer Programs page)
- University of Minnesota Summer Musical Theatre Program (learn more on the Minnesota Summer Programs page)
- University of Texas Ballet Theatre Summer Program (learn more on the Texas Summer Programs page)
- UCLA Pre-College Theatre Summer Institute (learn more on the California Summer Programs page)