Potential Benefits of Summer Programs
Introductory Information about the Way that Summer Programs may Benefit Students
There are a variety of summer pre-college programs and educational opportunities for high school students and teenagers. These summer programs can provide students with a variety of benefits. However, it is important for students to reflect on their goals for the summer when determining if they would like to participate in a structured program. It is also valuable for students to research and examine different summer programs to help them choose one that aligns with their goals. Additionally, students should consider the benefits of summer activities that do not involve structured programs. Thinking about goals along with activities of interest can help students craft a productive and meaningful summer.
Potential Academic Benefits from Summer Programs
There are a number of potential academic skills that students can gain from participating in a summer program. It is important to note that specific summer programs focus on the development of particular academic skills and that students should consider those programs that best align with their goals. The following includes some of the potential academic benefits for students through their participation in a summer program with educational orientation.
- Learning about a high-interest topic at an in-depth level.
- Gaining insight into potential college majors and career fields.
- Developing new academic skills in one or more educational areas.
- Extending learning beyond the traditional school year.
- Learning about a subject area that is not offered in a traditional school.
- Getting a preview of the academic expectations in a higher education environment.
Potential Social Benefits from Summer Programs
- Meeting and learning about peers from different locations.
- Work collaboratively with peers in activities (i.e. projects, labs, performances…).
- Enhancing conversational and communication skills with others.
- Engaging in cooperative problem-solving.
- Developing teamwork skills in group settings.
Potential Personal Benefits from Summer Programs
- Public speaking